Members of the inaugural Medical Board of Australia were appointed for three years by the Australian Health Workforce Ministerial Council on 31 August 2009.
Role of the Board
The role of the Medical Board of Australia is to:
- register medical practitioners and medical students
- develop standards, codes and guidelines for the medical profession
- investigate notifications and complaints
- where necessary, conduct panel hearings and refer serious matters to Tribunal hearings
- assess International Medical Graduates who wish to practise in Australia
- approve accreditation standards and accredited courses of study
Accreditation Standards and Approved Programs Of Study
The Board will approve accreditation standards.
It has published a list of approved programs of study that meet the qualifications for general registration and for specialist registration.
State and Territory Boards and Committees
The Medical Board of Australia is supported by Boards in each State and Territory. These Boards make individual registration and notification decisions, based on national policies and standards set by the Medical Board of Australia. The National Board has formally delegated the necessary powers to the State and Territory Boards.
The National Board has also appointed a range of Committees in each State and Territory to deal with the registration of individuals and with notifications. These Committees have also been formally delegated powers to make certain decisions. Committees include:
- Registration Committee
- Health Committee
- Immediate Action Committee
- Notifications Assessment Committee
- Performance and Professional Standards Committee
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
The Board is supported by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). AHPRA has a National office based in Melbourne and offices in every State and Territory to support local Boards and Committees.
For information about the legislation governing the operations of the Medical Board of Australia and matters relating to AHPRA, see AHPRA's Legislation & Publications.
Contact the Board
Medical Board of Australia
Doctor Joanna Flynn
Chair, Medical Board of Australia
G.P.O. Box 9958
Melbourne VIC 3001
You can use the online enquiry form to contact the board.
The Work of the Board
The Board publishes Communiqués that summarise the important issues considered and decisions made by the Board at each meeting.
Read Communiqués from the Board.
Meet the Board
Meet the individual Board members.