The Specialist pathway - short term training is for international medical graduates (IMGs) who are overseas-trained specialists or specialists-in-training wishing to undertake a short period of specialist or advanced training in Australia.
Under the Specialist pathway - Short term training:
- the IMG secures a training position
- the IMG must apply to the Australian Medical Council (AMC) for primary source verification of their medical qualifications
- the IMG applies directly to the relevant college using an MBA application form for specialists-in-training (AAMC-30 Application for assessment by a medical college)
- the specialist medical college assesses the suitability of the training position for the specific applicant
- the IMG applies to the Board for ‘Limited registration for postgraduate training or supervised practice.’
The Board has developed new Guidelines on this pathway that will come into effect from 1 July 2016. For more information see the news item.